Last May, I became a mother to a 6lb, 8.9 oz little wonder. The weeks that followed were filled with a steady stream of visitors–family, friends, and my doula. I was definitely challenged as I tried to take care of my daughter, breastfeed and pump, catch sleep whenever possible, and remember to eat/hydrate adequately. In the year since that time, with the support of my husband, family, and a local in home daycare, my daughter has grown into a healthy, exuberant little lady.
In the past few months, a number of friends and a family member have given birth. I started bringing bags of helpful items to the new moms during visits–things which could meet essential needs in a pinch.
Here’s what I included in a typical bag. Most items can be found at Trader Joe’s. Feel free to add/subtract as you like!
Things to bring new moms:
- A non perishable meal, such as a bag of pasta (gluten free or regular, depending on the mom) and sauce. Dinner in a pinch for Mom and Dad!
- A bottle of lotion. My hands were constantly cracked from washing bottles, washing my hands after diaper changes, and the like. New moms can all benefit from lotion.
- Jojoba oil. It can be used to clean pores, moisturize, refresh tired skin, etc. I started using it in the first six months after my daughter was born and have been addicted ever since.
- Non-perishable snacks, such as kale chips, on the go size bags of nuts and dried fruits, and the like. I would sometimes wake up starving in the middle of the night because I hadn’t eaten enough during the day, or I hadn’t snagged something during my daughter’s last feeding. A small boost can help you remain energized during the day or help with a rumbling belly at an odd hour.
- Lip gloss. New moms may not have time for a full face, but a little gloss, especially a more natural/lightweight one, can feel amazing.
Other thoughts: Bring a meal. We benefited from a number of dinners, especially those which included enough for multiple meals. My godmother brought lunch on a few occasions, as did my mother-in-law. Bringing breakfast can also be a huge help for a new mom, as she’ll be set with a good foundation for her morning. Whatever you do, please know it will be gratefully appreciated.