I’ve been spending a great deal of time lately mulling over my path in life. I’m immensely grateful for my life right now: I have a phenomenal husband, amazing friends, and a wonderful dance community (IRL and online) to which I belong. I have shelter, employment, and an (unexpected!) new car. Still, the career portion of life keeps nudging me, reminding me that there may be other opportunities to change, grow, blossom. Part of me thirsts for change and further development. As such, I thought it would be useful to share my thoughts on the ideal job. I recognize that no single job will necessarily encapsulate all of these items, but the right one will share the most important ones. Here are my thoughts:
An ideal job should…
- challenge you to create new ways of doing things, and promote incremental change
- wear you out in a good way, so you leave feeling tired, yet happy that you’ve accomplished something
- have an environment which is open, yet professional, and not take itself too seriously–there should be moments to laugh, make mistakes, grow, and improve
- have a supportive staff including people of different beliefs, ages, and personalities
- pay enough to live on, but not overpay you for not doing enough work
- offer the opportunity for advancement and new positions
- offer appreciation for your work
- remain a part of your life, but not your entire life
- incorporate social media and invite your voice as part of the conversation
- (or the company, rather)–be willing to listen to your ideas, and incorporate them if feasible
I recognize the abundance in my life and remain grateful for it. Still, I don’t think it’s wrong to explore other options.
Is anyone else out there attempting a career pathway switch? How are things working out for you?